Marist Sisters’ College has continued a Marist tradition and has acquired its own Marist Heart.
It will be used at various occasions such as the Opening College Mass, Foundress Day Mass and Year 12 Graduation where incoming Year 7 students or outgoing Year 12 students names would be placed on a scroll and enclosed inside. These names would then be held under Mary’s special protection.
The Marist Heart was blessed at the College Opening Mass at St Mary’s Cathedral on Wednesday 13 February 2019 by Fr Kevin Bates SM.
Following the recent staff Marist Pilgrimage to France, the College has embraced a Marist tradition to follow in the footsteps of the early Marists:
On 23rd July 1816 the twelve Marist aspirants, priests and seminarians, climbed the hill to the shrine of Our Lady of Fourviere. They placed their promise to found the Society of Mary under the corporal on the altar while Jean-Claude Courveille celebrated Mass.
After communion… they read out their declaration promising to devote themselves and all that they had to the foundation of the Society of Mary…
In the years which followed, many Marists came to the shrine and on 29th August 1833 a Mass was celebrated there before the departure of Fathers Colin, Chanel and Bourdin for Rome.
In October 1836 before the departure of the first missionaries for Oceania, Bishop Pompallier had a novena of Masses offered here, and on the final day Fr Peter Chanel SM, hung a heart containing the names of the missionaries around the neck of the Infant Jesus, giving birth to the legend that Mary had given her mantle to the future martyr.